Friday, July 2, 2010

The first post of my new blog

Hey!

So this is the first blog post of my new official blog... I have attempted to blog before on myspace and livejournal and neither of those attempts were very successful, nor did they last very long. So here I am to start anew. The point of this is to be a sort of online journal for me when ever I feel like I need to write something and don't have the creative power to put it into something that would probably be more productive. Plus I'm sort of jealous of other people who actually have blogs that they can keep track of. Let's see... Where to start? Ah, yes. Why not introduce myself with an extended version of my "About Me"

My name is Zachary Longstreet, most people choose to call me Zach and it is really no problem for me which you would like. I've also had a myriad of other nick names that we won't go into today. I have a really low self esteem and believe several different, contradicting things about myself at any given time. I believe that I’m a rather average person person on the whole and pretty boring, at least when you first get to know me. I also believe that I have lived a fascinating life that one day I might be able to use to entertain others. Sometimes I do now but I am very insecure about my past and, although I am an over trusting person, you can bet that I'm hiding something from you because I have this idea that people will use information against me (which I have realized that they do). I have pretty extreme paranoia at times and if you hang around me enough you will realize how superstitious I really am, I'm just good at hiding it. I'm also a very gifted liar. Most of my lies will come out on impulse and I'll have to retract my statement and start over when I'm telling a story. Of course when I tell people that they automatically believe that any story I tell is a direst lie when, in fact, the more it is about my specific life and the more interesting it is the more likely it is probably true. I have lived a lot of life for a 20 year old (in my opinion) and I have a lot of anecdotes. I'll warn you though that if you ask be ready for a storm full because I can be kind of resentful about some of it.

On a better note, I just recently evolved back into a pescatarian after being a vegetarian for four years (previously having been a pescatarian for the 12 years before that). I also have more allergies than you could count on your fingers or toes combine. My main three of these (as far as food goes) are oranges, garlic, and pork. But even though I have these allergies I do not refrain from consuming/being around them (except for orange). What would life be life without ice cream and kittens?

Anyway, I am currently a Vocal Performance major with a focus in Music Theatre at New York University Steinhardt. I have a love for many things, most predominately kayaking, cannolis, art, and animals. I recently finished a Directing Internship for BILLY ELLIOT at the Imperial Theater on Broadway in New York City. And currently I am a personal assistant to Dr. Yuhwa Eva Lu, professor of ethno-cultural social work at the NYU Silver School of Social Work. I also do my best to take on other opportunities that come near, especially ones involving theater or music. I continue to participate and volunteer for activities with St. Johns County Center for the Arts, St. Augustine Beach Arbor Day Committee, The NYU Steinhardt Players Club, Steinhardt Music And Theater, Boy Scouts of America, the St. Augustine High School Wrestling Team, and various other groups on and off.

When I am in Florida and not in the NYC I live with my mother, Hester Longstreet, one of the brightest stars in my life, and my dad, Michael Longstreet, one of my biggest supporters in my musical journey. Both of them are music teachers in St. Johns County. Also, I have 3 brothers (2 blood and 1 adopted) Max(17) and actor at SJCCA, Josh(22) a Bio major at FSU, and Erick Hagen(21) an Assistant Manager at Staples and student at FSCJ. My best friends are Riley Keshner(20) who just graduated from Full Sail University for Digital Art and Design, Kadeen Griffiths who is a Journalism major and avid movie/television fan, and Ani Alexander who is a Journalism and Politics major, workaholic, and coffee addict. Erick, Riley, and I have been friends for 4 years now and are founding members of the Klazotskis. Kadeen and Ani are fellow NYU students and we will be celebrating our 2 year friendship anniversary this September. We are three founding members of the Diversiteam at NYU. Both groups are very differnt and I love them both, and the four people that make them exist, for accepting me into their worlds.

My favorite poets include Dylan Thomas, Pushkin, and Li Bai, each for different reasons. My favorite artists are Goya, Greco, Picasso, and Wolf Vostell. I love al types of music. Yes... Even country and even rap, my favorites being Rascal Flatts and Reba McEntire for country and Lightfoot for rap. I also love Dean Martin, Jack's Mannequin, Billie Holiday, Journey, Gershwin, and Ottmar Liebert. My favorite movie is Stand By Me because my brothers and I can each identify with one of the four characters as much as we hate seeing some of our worst traits in them. Favorite authors include Gregory Maguire and Scott O'Dell. The first being an adult fiction writer and the later being a young adult writer that I read when I was younger. I'd like to believe that I would still love his work even 9-11 years down the line. I don;t have a favorite color, just a bunch of colors that I like in certain shades. I also love politics and culture. I could spend hours just listening to someone talk about religion or cultural influences or political drama. Although I would probably start to argue on the later, even if I support it (I like to play devil's advocate just to see how much thought and study someone has put into something). Nothing makes me more angry than someone who would persecute or accuse another person without trying to see the other side of the coin. Well... That and still frame shots at the end of televisions shows or movies. Those make me crazy.There's just no point to them! They're retarded!!! I mean, really! Who wants to see Fran Drescher's face in wide, gaping laughter for a whole 3 minutes as the credits role by?!? ... Speaking of which... I tend to convert to escapism when I actually have free time and my favorite thing to do with this time is watch fictional tv shows. I watch everything from dance contests to sci-fi to spy flicks to teen shows to anime to the History Channel (one of my favorites). And when I feel up to it and no one is around I put on a good song and I just dance. I can dance for hours, alone in my room...

As far as the future goes I have a dream of being a director and either owning my own theater or being the head of a high school for the fine/performing arts. Of course, before all of that I want to be on Broadway, working backstage and on stage and maybe win a Tony or 2 while I'm at it. It'll be a lot of work, but if you know me at all you’ll know that I will always work my rear end off for what ever I set my mind to. For now my passion is performing and I spend a lot of time practicing to be the best I possibly can be.

I also am an American Indian (one quarter if you really wanna get specific) and spent a good amount of my childhood on a Cherokee state reservation in Georgia. I get my heritage from my mother who got it from both of her parents (although technically it passes down the female line since the Cherokee are a matriarchal society). I have a tattoo on my ankle of a mountain lion paw print with the Cherokee letters for tlv-dat-tsi (mountain lion). I got this because the mountain lion is one of my spirit animals and represents the strength and courage that I need to bring into my life in order to be a great leader. I am of the Wind Clan and therefore will be ever-changing and will one day carve a legacy in a world of earth and fire.

I would like to go further and show my excitement about other events that are currently going on but I'll save them for a post where they could be better highlighted. If you made it this far than thank you very much and I hope you will choose to continue reading my further posts. :D Talk to you again soon!

3 comments:

  1. you are awesome :)
    ~Cat Amore

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww. Still need to read your first post but the intro made me go "Awww" =)

    - Sophia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Just. Wow.

    -Kadeen

    ReplyDelete